Missing directory in qt3?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 9 01:57:42 PDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 00:53, Linc Davis wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2007, at 8:37 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 8, 2007, at 22:09, Linc Davis wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to port the QT3-X11 application evolvotron:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/evolvotron
>>>
>>> There's a Fink package for it, so I thought it would be a simple
>>> matter to write a portfile. But I'm getting hung up by the
>>> following lines in the makefile for the first build target:
>>>
>>> $(MOC):
>>> 	( cd $(QTDIR)/src/moc && $(MAKE) )
>>>
>>> I have QTDIR set to ${prefix}/lib/qt3, but there is no directory $
>>> (QTDIR)/src/moc. A similar problem was reported by an OpenBSD
>>> user on a Trolltech mailing list, with the following response:
>>>
>>> ---

>>> command

>>> Ah, OK. I thought you meant Qt 3 relies on obsolete system files.
>>> The
>>> problem here is just that OpenBSD haven't packaged Qt correctly.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> http://lists.trolltech.com/qsa-interest/2005-08/msg00013.html
>>>
>>> So there seems to be a problem with the qt3 port.
>>
>> I would rather say that it sounds like the evolvotron software
>> package requires the *source* of qt3 in order to build. MacPorts
>> ports do not install their source; they only install the libraries
>> and other binaries and other files resulting from compiling the
>> source. Sounds like you may have to download the qt3 source again
>> in your port and extract it and use that.
>
> Trolltech apparently considers $(QTDIR)/src to be required. Should
> there be something like a Fink dev package for qt3 that contains
> files only needed at compile time?

Well in fact I don't know anything about qt3 so I can't say whether
or not the port installs a src directory or whether it should do so.

In MacPorts we do not have separate "dev" packages which contain the
headers necessary to build other packages. Instead, such headers are
always installed with every port.