Install glade? [RESOLVED: Use glade3]

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 10:01:19 PDT 2007

On 10/9/07, Instruct ICC <instructicc at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  > devel/glade3 does not mean that glade3 is not "current or stable", it
> > justs means glade3's main category is "devel", as in "this port is
> > useless unless you want to develop with it."
>
> Just some newbie FYI first impressions:
> port search glade
> I would think a package named libSomething or Something-devel or Something-dev is what you mean by, "this port is  useless unless you want to develop with it." -- as in link with it maybe?
> There are also gnome/glade and gnome/libgladeX.  So I thought it was a development branch.

generally speaking, lib* ports will be a dependency that is installed
without you asking for it. Isn't glade a development tool? The
description suggests it is.

glade3                         devel/glade3   3.2.2        Glade is a
free user interface builder for GTK+ and GNOME.

Apparently, there are some development versions (the ports team is tireless):

[/Users/paul]:: port list *-devel
Etoile-devel                   @0.1.9          gnustep/Etoile-devel
basiliskii-devel               @1.0-20060314   emulators/basiliskii-devel
boehmgc-devel                  @6.3alpha6      devel/boehmgc-devel
codeblocks-devel               @1.0            devel/codeblocks-devel
cronolog-devel                 @1.7.0-beta     sysutils/cronolog-devel
dsniff-devel                   @2.4b1          net/dsniff-devel
easytag-devel                  @1.99.11        audio/easytag-devel
emacs-devel                    @22.0.97        editors/emacs-devel
ghc-devel                      @6.7            lang/ghc-devel
^C

I don't know if this needs a FAQ entry or not.
--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>