texinfo doesnt function

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Tue Oct 9 16:19:32 PDT 2007

On 2007-10-09 14:05:08 -0500, Nehemiah Dacres wrote:
> having installed gnu texinfo from macports
> upon using "info ls"

You need to type "info coreutils" ("info ls" doesn't work either under
Debian, so I suppose that this form is not supported).

> it responds with
> dir: no such file

I don't have this error. Instead I get the ls manpage.

Your problem may be that you don't have a /opt/local/share/info/dir
file, but the bug comes from the ports that install info files. On
my machine, only gsl updated the dir file, with:

post-install    {
    system "install-info ${destroot}${prefix}/share/info/gsl-ref.info ${prefix}/share/info/dir"
}

but IMHO, this is incorrect: to be correct, the dir file should be
updated by post-activate (to install) and post-deactivate (with the
--delete option of install-info). Is there any documentation about
that?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>