Horrible problems after moving /opt/local aside

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 10 13:13:41 PDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 14:21, David Epstein wrote:

> Following advice, I moved /opt/local aside and I have since been
> having horrible problems.
> I use latex and gv a lot.
> It turned out that latex was in the old /opt/local (now /opt/
> local.old) and I wasn't sure how to access it. I copied /opt/
> local.old/bin/{selected items that seemed to belong to tex} to the
> new /opt/local/bin. That seems to work, but will probably go wrong
> when other files from the tex hierarchy are needed.

That's really not how MacPorts is supposed to be used. You should not
manually install programs into /opt/local. You should remove those
items from /opt/local again, and instead install latex using
MacPorts. Surely a port for it exists? Try "port search". If you
can't find the port, tell us exactly what software you're trying to
install (its homepage, for example) and I'll see if I can find its
port. Alternately, you could rebuild the software from source in a
different prefix, like /usr/local (bearing in mind the inherent
problems with choosing /usr/local) or any other prefix, like maybe
$HOME/bin.

> [...]
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_prin
>> t_freetype/work/destroot " returned error 2
>> Command output: ./builds/unix/mkinstalldirs /opt/local/var/
>> macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_prin
>> t_freetype/work/destroot/opt/local/
>> lib                               \
>>                          /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_prin
>> t_freetype/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/
>> pkgconfig                     \
>>                          /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_prin
>> t_freetype/work/destroot/opt/local/include/freetype2/freetype/
>> config \
>>                          /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_prin
>> t_freetype/work/destroot/opt/local/include/freetype2/freetype/
>> cache  \
>>                          /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_prin
>> t_freetype/work/destroot/opt/local/
>> bin                               \
>>                          /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_prin
>> t_freetype/work/destroot/opt/local/share/aclocal
>> ./builds/unix/libtool --mode=install /opt/local/bin/ginstall -
>> c                             \
>>                                   /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_prin
>> t_freetype/work/freetype-2.3.5/objs/libfreetype.la /opt/local/var/
>> macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_prin
>> t_freetype/work/destroot/opt/local/lib
>> ./builds/unix/libtool: line 1: /opt/local/bin/gsed: No such file
>> or directory
>> ./builds/unix/libtool: line 1: /opt/local/bin/gsed: No such file
>> or directory
>> *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.
>> *** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.
>> ./builds/unix/libtool: line 1: /opt/local/bin/gsed: No such file
>> or directory
>> ./builds/unix/libtool: line 1: /opt/local/bin/gsed: No such file
>> or directory
>> ./builds/unix/libtool: line 1: /opt/local/bin/gsed: No such file
>> or directory
>> ./builds/unix/libtool: line 1: /opt/local/bin/gsed: No such file
>> or directory
>> ./builds/unix/libtool: line 1: /opt/local/bin/gsed: No such file
>> or directory
>> : install: `.' must be an absolute directory name
>> Try ` --help --mode=install' for more information.
>> make: *** [install] Error 1
>>
>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: ghostscript
>> fontconfig freetype
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>> hottie:/<2>bin% exit
>
> What do I do now? Please keep it simple, if you can.

Ok, so freetype wanted to use /opt/local/bin/gsed but it doesn't
exist. I don't have /opt/local/bin/gsed on my system either, and
freetype builds just fine. (I imagine for me it's finding and using
the system sed, /usr/bin/sed.) Perhaps you had gsed in your old /opt/
local and somehow freetype picked up on that. I don't see how though.
Please make a new Terminal window and try it again.

sudo port clean --work freetype
sudo port install freetype

If you get the same error, then do it again with debug output and
show it to us.

sudo port clean --work freetype
sudo port -dv install freetype