Horrible problems after moving /opt/local aside

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 13:55:04 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:

> Ok, so freetype wanted to use /opt/local/bin/gsed but it doesn't
> exist. I don't have /opt/local/bin/gsed on my system either, and
> freetype builds just fine. (I imagine for me it's finding and using
> the system sed, /usr/bin/sed.) Perhaps you had gsed in your old /opt/
> local and somehow freetype picked up on that. I don't see how though.
> Please make a new Terminal window and try it again.
>
> sudo port clean --work freetype
> sudo port install freetype
>
> If you get the same error, then do it again with debug output and
> show it to us.
>
> sudo port clean --work freetype
> sudo port -dv install freetype

Sigh of relief!! When deadlines loom, one doesn't necessarily do the right
thing.
I have been trying too many things to be clear about what happened, but,
anyway
your clean command seems to have been what I was failing to do, after my
original sin of putting stuff into /opt/local/bin from /opt/local.old/bin.
I have managed now to install some of the things gv depends on, which is a
big advance, but I haven't yet had a go at gv. I decided that since there
might be various junk lying around, I should install the dependencies one at
a time, starting each with a clean. Anyway, I feel I am now a long way
forward, knowing about the clean.

Question: would it have worked just to clean gv, or would gv dependencies
have remained dirty?

I hope I'm now doing following a reasonable strategy, but I've still clearly
got a lot to learn.
David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk