problem with dhcpd and daemondo

BB 2nfinite at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:00:01 PDT 2007

I recently acquired a new Mac mini and installed the latest Macports.
After installing dhcpd I discovered that it will not automatically
start at boot. This worked in the past, as I recently sold a Mac mini
G4 that had dhcpd running via Macports. Unfortunately I don't have a
backup to see what changed between latest dhcpd and older
Macports/dhcpd.

Here is the error message in system.log:

Oct 14 19:12:49 localhost dhcpd: Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
Oct 14 19:12:49 localhost dhcpd: Oct 14 19:12:49 localhost dhcpd: exiting.

Which appears to indicate that dhcpd is being started before the
network interface en0 is brought up, or perhaps some other error.

My temporary workaround is to login after booting and issue the
following commands:

launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.dhcpd.plist
launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.dhcpd.plist

Now inside the plist file is a set of commands to start/stop/restart
the dhcpd daemon:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Debug</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>org.macports.dhcpd</string>
        <key>OnDemand</key>
        <false/>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
                <string>/opt/local/bin/daemondo</string>
                <string>--label=dhcpd</string>
                <string>--start-cmd</string>

<string>/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.dhcpd/dhcpd.wrapper</string>
                <string>start</string>
                <string>;</string>
                <string>--stop-cmd</string>

<string>/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.dhcpd/dhcpd.wrapper</string>
                <string>stop</string>
                <string>;</string>
                <string>--restart-cmd</string>

<string>/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.dhcpd/dhcpd.wrapper</string>
                <string>restart</string>
                <string>;</string>
                <string>--pid=none</string>
        </array>
        <key>RunAtLoad</key>
        <false/>
</dict>
</plist>

Can someone help explain how daemondo works and why it isn't starting
dhcpd at boot?

Thanks,
Brian