wxMaxima port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 18 11:14:27 PDT 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 10:43, John Doner wrote:

> I tried to port wxmaxima; it failed because I already had maxima
> installed (/usr/local/bin/maxima).  Now the obvious solution would
> be to also use macports to install maxima.  In fact, I did try this
> a couple of months ago, only to see it fail because it could not
> install the dependency sbcl.  At the time, I just gave up on
> macports, installed sbcl and then maxima from the source.  This
> worked out fine.  Probably, I can do the same with wxmaxima.
>
> But I'd rather start using macports, if possible.  What can be
> done, if anything, to circumvent the problem of dependencies where
> something has already been built independently of macports?

Move /usr/local aside first (e.g. rename it to /usr/local-off).
MacPorts ports often do not play well in the presence of things in /
usr/local.

If you managed to install this software from source, then it must be
possible to install it with MacPorts. If you find that the ports
still do not install to your satisfaction, please report these
problems to us and help us fix the portfiles so they work better.