Cannot install X software

Ali aliml at perror.de
Mon Oct 22 02:52:56 PDT 2007

Hi ML,

I'm new to both MacOS and MacPorts, and I think I completely screwed up
something. Perhaps someone can help me.

Currently, I can install console apps, that is, "port install minicom"
installed lots of libraries as well as minicom, without problems.

When I try to install xaw3d (which I need for xemacs), I get:

--->  Configuring Xaw3d
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: xmkmf failure: shell
command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_Xaw3d/work/xc/lib/Xaw3d"
&& xmkmf " returned error 1
Command output: mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
Imakefile.c:16: error: Imake.tmpl: No such file or directory
imake: Exit code 1.
   Stop.

I do not have the mentioned directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config".

I think I screwed something up during install, because xemacs installed
fine yesterday, though it didn't work. Here's the story:
I installed X11.app and XCode from my MacOS DVD, then MacPorts, then "port
install xemacs". This compiled lots of stuff, including XFree86. The
result was a binary that couldn't run due to a library version mismatch in
libXt. Then I found the MacPorts install guide that said never to install
XCode from the DVD. So I tried to undo everything. I uninstalled XCode
using the provided perl script, and I ran "port uninstall installed" (took
several iterations). Then I installed an X11.app update from appe.com and
XCode from apple.com, including the X11SDK.

I'd appreciate any help, 'cause I pretty much lost...
ali