Cannot install X software

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 22 19:07:40 PDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 04:52, Ali wrote:

> Hi ML,
>
> I'm new to both MacOS and MacPorts, and I think I completely
> screwed up something. Perhaps someone can help me.
>
> Currently, I can install console apps, that is, "port install
> minicom" installed lots of libraries as well as minicom, without
> problems.
>
> When I try to install xaw3d (which I need for xemacs), I get:
>

> --->  Configuring Xaw3d
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: xmkmf failure: shell
> command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_X
> aw3d/work/xc/lib/Xaw3d" && xmkmf " returned error 1
> Command output: mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
> imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
> Imakefile.c:16: error: Imake.tmpl: No such file or directory
> imake: Exit code 1.
>   Stop.
>
> I do not have the mentioned directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config".
>
> I think I screwed something up during install, because xemacs
> installed fine yesterday, though it didn't work. Here's the story:
> I installed X11.app and XCode from my MacOS DVD, then MacPorts,
> then "port install xemacs". This compiled lots of stuff, including
> XFree86. The result was a binary that couldn't run due to a library
> version mismatch in libXt. Then I found the MacPorts install guide
> that said never to install XCode from the DVD. So I tried to undo
> everything. I uninstalled XCode using the provided perl script, and
> I ran "port uninstall installed" (took several iterations). Then I
> installed an X11.app update from appe.com and XCode from apple.com,
> including the X11SDK.
>
> I'd appreciate any help, 'cause I pretty much lost...

The recommendation to not install Xcode from the DVD is because it
has often been not the latest version and has been known to cause
problems. Xcode 2.4.1 from developer.apple.com is known to work.

If you installed X11, MacPorts should not have installed XFree86. The
XFree86 port is designed to detect an existing Apple X11 installation
and issue warnings and abort.

I do have /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config on my system. It was provided by
Apple's X11 (or the X11SDK, I'm not sure).

If you don't mind starting over, it would be clearest if you would
remove MacPorts and try again.

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts

Since you now have the current version of Xcode, and X11User.pkg and
X11SDK.pkg, MacPorts should detect this and use this instead of
trying to build XFree86.