gnome-session compile runaway

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 22 18:55:21 PDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 23:37, William Davis wrote:

> I noted gnome-session had been updated and started upgrading it but!
> 1. many hours later it is still running on my intel core duo @1.86 GHz
> 2. gcc 4.0 was recomplied
> 3. python was recompiled at least twice
> 4. perl 5.8.8 has recomplied I dont know how many times.......many

3 and 4 make it sound like you used the -f flag without the -n flag,
which will result in this unfortunate behavior.

> 5. on trying to fetch perl5 5.8.8 the last time I noticed DEBUG wrote
> "perl5.8.8...blah....gz doesnt seem to exist in /opt/local/......./
> perl58/perl58/perl58/perl58 etc etc etc perl58/perl58  (repeated
> total 9 times)
>
> Is it somehow creating a new souce (sub) dir everytime around? or
> is this just an artifact of multiple dependecies?

That's what it looks like, and is ridiculous. I've seen this myself
on my system but don't know what command I executed to cause it. What
command did you execute?

> considering how much time has elapsed, I dont want to stop it if
> this is "normal" but neither do I want to let it run if its going
> to fill 50 megs of disk available with more and more copies of perl.

Only one copy of a port can be active at once. It's probably just
building it over and over, replacing the previous build. Which is
ridiculous and should not happen if you do not use the -f flag, or if
you use the -n flag with the -f flag.

> what should I do?
>
> btw it also bothers me that somewhere in there I saw something like
> "target = osmac 10.3 " go by.
> (I have 10.4.10, and the curent xcode and macports)

Do you mean you saw MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 in the verbose
output somewhere? If so, that's probably fine. It just means that
software will be built with features that became available in 10.3
(but which still exist in later OS versions), and that the software
won't run on 10.2 or earlier.