gnome compilation problems

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Oct 25 07:11:06 PDT 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Stefan Bruda wrote:
> That's an excellent point.  I guess the maintainer could decide on the
> matter.  What I would like to see is actually versioning (Gentoo
> style), tagged with a stable/unstable keywords.  If I want to keep a
> stable system, I can keep within the stable versions; if I want to
> live on the edge, I can go to development; if I am tired of living on
> the edge I can reset my keyword and re-upgrade (port upgrade will then
> need to be capable of downgrading too); if I want to live in the edge
> only for a portion of the tree, then I should be able to "unmask"
> ports individually.

Macports is run entirely by volunteers, none of whom get paid to do it.

If you want some new functionality, the best way to get it is to work
on it and offer it to the community.

If we had a test-build system of some sort set up, it would be
possible to at least tag ports as building successfully or not....
(hint hint).

> Right now I don't even know what I did when the system broke--there
> are no longs so I cannot go back in time even manually unless I write
> down the list of ports being upgraded before I issue the upgrade
> command.

You could upgrade with -dv and redirect the output to a file so you
could go back and look at it later.

--
Daniel J. Luke