Is there any value to packages? [was Re: Why no binaries?]

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 12:50:49 PDT 2007

On 10/26/07, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was mulling this over last night as I was going to sleep. It seems
> to me that the port maintainer could be relied upon to build the
> package for his respective port(s). That way, MacPorts doesn't need to
> hunt for a build machine.
>
> Although, someone would need to step up and maintain a cross compiler
> port for the maintainers. That would make it easier for the port
> maintainers to build the packages. If they could do something like
> `port package +g4 +g5 +intel`, I'm sure the idea would go over a lot
> better.
>
> Of course, there would then need to be functionality built into port
> to pull down binary packages instead of source packages.

well, that's a bit ambitious, perhaps. I'd be happy to have a reliable way
to make packages and meta packages on my own. I haven't tested it recently,
so perhaps it works properly now. If that works, it seems possible to roll
out an archive of singleton ports (that aren't part of a cluster or
metapackage). The holy grail would be a way to reliably install the
MySQL/php/apache cluster or gnome without building anything.

Here's an example of trying to make a package from seahorse, which just
installed via port upgrade:
[/Users/paul]# port pkg seahorse
--->  Creating pkg for seahorse-2.20.1
Error: Target org.macports.pkg returned: shell command "mkbom
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_seahorse/work/destroot
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_seahorse/work/seahorse-
2.20.1.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom" returned error 1
Command output: can't stat
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_seahorse/work/destroot
(No such file or directory)
can't make bom
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_seahorse/work/seahorse-
2.20.1.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom for dir

Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>