Is there any value to packages? [was Re: Why no binaries?]

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:16:40 PDT 2007

I missed something in my previous post: the directory for the port had been
cleaned, and apparently the pkg command doesn't expect that, nor does it
know what to do about it. So it bails.
If you build first, than issue the pkg command, it does work, as best I can
tell.

If you have the super-useful cddir* command in your shell, you can use

port build foo && port pkg foo && cddir foo, where foo is the port you just
packaged. It will be in the work directory.

So perhaps the packaging stuff is closer to reality than I remembered.

*
port() {
        case "$1" in
                cddir)
                        if [ -z "$2" ]; then
                                cd `port echo all | head -n 1 | xargs port
                        else
                                cd `port dir $2`
                        fi
                        ;;