XCode 3.0? Safe for old school Tiger users?

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Oct 30 02:10:48 PDT 2007

David Corking wrote:

>> I posted a bug report about Xcode Find (in a file versus in a
>> project) and
>> the developers said it should be fixed in Xcode 3.0.
>
> I think you will find the IDE portion of Xcode is closed source.  If
> the bug is in the IDE, and
> Apple don't backport it themselves, you are out of luck.

Xcode 2.5 will soon be available, as the end-of-the-road for Tiger...
But it probably doesn't have all the features and fixes of Xcode 3.0.

> Only the command line GNU tools in Xcode are open source, such as gcc
> itself.

Not all tools are open source (yet?) either, Xcode 2.4.1 and Xcode 3.0
have so far not been released. And you'll need something like
"odcctools",
in order to actually build and use them outside of the Apple
toolchain...
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/ and http://macosforge.org/

>> And I _am_ interested
>> in Objective-C 2.0 (having no Objective-C experience except that I
>> read
>> there are OO improvements in 2.0).
>
> Eventually (I hope - I don't follow gcc development)  someone will
> make a patch from Apple's CVS (or the source code that should be on
> the Leopard DVD - is there source code on the Leopard DVD ?)  Then it
> is up to Red Hat / FSF to accept it into the gcc upstream.  From the
> upstream, MacPorts will get Objective-C 2.0

Objective-C++ eventually got included, so Objective-C 2.0 probably will.
Someone needs to write a new runtime, though, such as the GNUstep one ?

--anders