XCode 3.0? Safe for old school Tiger users?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Tue Oct 30 01:44:21 PDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Instruct ICC wrote:

> I posted a bug report about Xcode Find (in a file versus in a project) and
> the developers said it should be fixed in Xcode 3.0.

I think you will find the IDE portion of Xcode is closed source.  If
the bug is in the IDE, and
Apple don't backport it themselves, you are out of luck.

Only the command line GNU tools in Xcode are open source, such as gcc itself.

> And I _am_ interested
> in Objective-C 2.0 (having no Objective-C experience except that I read
> there are OO improvements in 2.0).

Eventually (I hope - I don't follow gcc development)  someone will
make a patch from Apple's CVS (or the source code that should be on
the Leopard DVD - is there source code on the Leopard DVD ?)  Then it
is up to Red Hat / FSF to accept it into the gcc upstream.  From the
upstream, MacPorts will get Objective-C 2.0

> Why not?
> I'm thinking tweaked for Tiger
snip
> I don't really know when I will switch to Leopard.

Maybe you are offering Ryan a contract?  In which case that is
probably off-topic for this list.

When you personally upgrade, you will have to ask yourself: will you
have end users on Tiger, and if so, will your application run there?
I guess that with dozens of users it might become economic for you to
hire someone to backport Objective-C 2.0 to Tiger and maintain it.