Speed up build phase with "make -j"

Markus Weissmann mww at macports.org
Tue Oct 30 08:20:18 PDT 2007

On 30.10.2007, at 13:52, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2007-10-30 12:43:52 +0100, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>> Weissmann Markus:
>>> Yes, but I meant this to be a per-Portfile choice so a maintainer
>>> can mark
>>> his/her port as being able to build in parallel. Doing this with the
>>> sledgehammer for all ports that use 'make' might be a bit too
>>> much. ;)
>>
>> It is supposed to be the default... But broken ports might need
>> some way of
>> signalling so, maybe "build.jobs 1".
>
> The bug could also be reported upstream, so that a ".NOTPARALLEL:"
> is added to the Makefile.

Well, this simply is not going to work -- this has to be an opt-in,
not an opt-out option!
If you do not know if a parallel build will work for a port, you must
assume it won't.
Once upon a day when we see that 80% of our ports all have that
"build_in_parallel yes" option set, we can make it the default, but
not as long as only _very_ few do. Otherwise we'd have to tag all our
Portfiles with the "dont_even_think_about_a_parallel_build yes"
option the moment we release version 1.6 and gradually remove them
for the one we know to work...

-Markus

--
Markus W. Weissmann