Speed up build phase with "make -j"

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Oct 30 09:50:34 PDT 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Markus Weissmann wrote:
> Well, this simply is not going to work -- this has to be an opt-in,
> not an opt-out option!

I agree with Markus. It doesn't make sense to create a new default
option that could (and probably will) break a bunch of ports.

> If you do not know if a parallel build will work for a port, you
> must assume it won't.
> Once upon a day when we see that 80% of our ports all have that
> "build_in_parallel yes" option set, we can make it the default, but
> not as long as only _very_ few do. Otherwise we'd have to tag all
> our Portfiles with the "dont_even_think_about_a_parallel_build yes"
> option the moment we release version 1.6 and gradually remove them
> for the one we know to work...

If someone wanted to run some build-tests of the entire tree and
determine which ones work or not (and if they discover that most
work), then perhaps it would make sense to tag the broken ones and set
a new default.

... I don't really see that as something that's likely to happen,
though.
--
Daniel J. Luke