off topic? Re: XCode 3.0? Safe for old school Tiger users?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Tue Oct 30 10:04:32 PDT 2007

On 10/30/07, Anders F Björklund  wrote:

> Xcode 2.5 will soon be available, as the end-of-the-road for Tiger...
> But it probably doesn't have all the features and fixes of Xcode 3.0.

Good news.

> > Only the command line GNU tools in Xcode are open source, such as gcc
> > itself.
>
> Not all tools are open source (yet?) either, Xcode 2.4.1 and Xcode 3.0
> have so far not been released.

I hope that is not really the case, as the GNU tools (not the BSD
ones) such as gcc itself, are covered by GPL or LGPL copyleft rules.
Unlike the source for the Darwin kernel, Apple are not allowed to be 6
months late with the source.

Apple keep a public CVS for copylefted software.

> And you'll need something like
> "odcctools",
> in order to actually build and use them outside of the Apple
> toolchain...
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/ and http://macosforge.org/

Perhaps some of the tools are not copylefted, and so leave gaps in the
toolchain.  Good luck to whoever tries to build all this then.  (It
won't be me!)

> Objective-C++ eventually got included, so Objective-C 2.0 probably will.
> Someone needs to write a new runtime, though, such as the GNUstep one ?

Omitting the runtime source seems to sail close to the wind on
copyleft.  Does the gnustep runtime support Tiger?