Can't build GNU Octave because of missing/broken hdf5?

Bernard Desgraupes bdesgraupes at orange.fr
Wed Sep 5 02:25:53 PDT 2007

I have built octave two days ago and have met this same problem. Here's
the recipe. To work around it, edit the Portfile
(/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/science/hdf5/Portfile)
and modify two things:
* the version : replace 1.6.5  by 1.6.6
* the checksum: I did not keep a copy of the new checksum, but after you
changed the version and tried again to "port install hdf5" there will be
an error message in which the checksum is printed. So replace the
current value by the expected one. No the build should go fine.

When hdf5 has completed its build, execute
sudo port install octave
to finish the job.

HTH

Bernard