Postgis & libiconv problem

Jeff Stubbs jeff at cjstubbs.org
Fri Sep 7 08:30:59 PDT 2007

Hi All,

Finally got some free time to deal with the latest version of postgis
again. It's building successfully within MP, but I'm still puzzled by
the linking with the libiconv in /usr/lib/. I would like it to depend
on the MP installed libiconv, to stay within MP's self-contained
strategy.

After installing, I checked it's dependencies with:

apollo:~ jeff$ otool -L /opt/local/bin/pgsql2shp
/opt/local/bin/pgsql2shp:
         /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0,
current version 5.0.0)
         /opt/local/lib/postgresql82/libpq.5.dylib (compatibility
version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 88.1.10)

After uninstalling & cleaning, I modified the the PortFile to build
without libiconv, resulting in:

apollo:~ jeff$ otool -L /opt/local/bin/pgsql2shp
/opt/local/bin/pgsql2shp:
	/opt/local/lib/postgresql82/libpq.5.dylib (compatibility version
5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 88.1.10)

Thinking I was doing something wrong, I backed out the 1.3.1 version
and installed MP's included 1.2.1 version. otool reports the same
findings.

Read thru the nu MP guide, trying everything that looks like it would
modify the configure & build environment. No luck.

I did search the source folder with BBEdit looking for references to
"iconv" and found about 149 of them, in configure, configure.in and
makefile.config.in. Nothing stood out as direct reference to libiconv
in /usr/lib.

Before I attempt blindly modifying these files, has any experienced
users/developers dealt with this type of problem before?

Second, am I being too much of a purist, and should just accept the
linking in /usr/lib?

Thanks for your time,

Jeff