Selfupdate broken

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Tue Sep 11 00:03:29 PDT 2007

Hi there,

> I am not getting selfupdate or anything else working. I have
> followed the install instructions.
>

> computer:$ sudo port -d selfupdate
> DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
> DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
> Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> DEBUG: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ /opt/
> local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports
> rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Connection refused
> (61)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /SourceCache/rsync/
> rsync-24.1/rsync/
> clientserver.c(94)
> DEBUG: Couldn't sync the ports tree: sync failed doing rsync
>     while executing
> "macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the
> ports tree: sync failed doing
> rsync

Since you say that you are using routers, could you double-check that
your routers do in fact have TCP port 873 open (this being the one
used to contact rsync daemons)?  If that doesn't help, then the best
that I can suggest is that you might have a firewall running
somewhere that you don't know about.  Any other suggestions that
users might have would be most welcome.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--