"port" command doesn't work after restart

Benton Greene beezum88 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 15:08:13 PDT 2007

Kevin Walzer wrote:
> Benton Greene wrote:
>

>>> Yes. Edit ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc to add /opt/local/bin to your path,
>>> and then MacPorts will be included whenever you launch a new shell.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kevin Walzer
>>> Code by Kevin
>>> http://www.codebykevin.com
>>>

>> I tried that, and it doesn't seem to work.  ~/.profile already
>> includes the /opt/local/bin path, and there isn't a ~/.bashrc.  I
>> edited the ~/.profile to look like the one for Python (with the
>> appropriate /opt/local/bin path, of course), since that one seems to
>> work (the python libraries show up when I run the "env" command), and
>> it still didn't have any affect, so I just changed it back.  Am I
>> doing something wrong?
>
> Changes to ~/.profile don't take effect in the same shell. Just open a
> new Terminal window and close the old one--that should reflect the new
> settings. To test this, type "echo $PATH" in the new Terminal window.

It doesn't seem to have any affect.  This is the contents of the
".profile" file:

#
# Your previous .profile  (if any) is saved as .profile.mpsaved
# Setting the path for MacPorts.
export PATH="/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH"

This is the output for the "echo $PATH" command:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

And this is the output for the echo command after I've run "export
PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH":

/opt/local/bin:opt/local/sbin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin