"port" command doesn't work after restart

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 11 16:05:54 PDT 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 17:08, Benton Greene wrote:

> Kevin Walzer wrote:

>>> I tried that, and it doesn't seem to work.  ~/.profile already
>>> includes the /opt/local/bin path, and there isn't a ~/.bashrc.  I
>>> edited the ~/.profile to look like the one for Python (with the
>>> appropriate /opt/local/bin path, of course), since that one seems to
>>> work (the python libraries show up when I run the "env" command),
>>> and
>>> it still didn't have any affect, so I just changed it back.  Am I
>>> doing something wrong?
>>
>> Changes to ~/.profile don't take effect in the same shell. Just
>> open a new Terminal window and close the old one--that should
>> reflect the new settings. To test this, type "echo $PATH" in the
>> new Terminal window.
>
> It doesn't seem to have any affect.  This is the contents of the
> ".profile" file:
>
> #
> # Your previous .profile  (if any) is saved as .profile.mpsaved
> # Setting the path for MacPorts.
> export PATH="/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH"
>

> This is the output for the "echo $PATH" command:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/usr/
> local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

Ok, so it looks like some other file is being used to define your
path. Bash looks for a variety of files, not just ~/.profile. For
example, on my system, I use ~/.bash_profile instead.

You could look in your home directory and search over all dotfiles to
see which one contains your PATH definition:

grep PATH ~/.*

Then modify whatever file it is.