selfupdate headache..

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 11 15:53:07 PDT 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 16:47, Casper Holm wrote:

> Ohhh boy have I gotten my feet wet.... all i wanted to do was to
> test php's on my computer and startet out by trying to install php
> by entropy.. Then i had to install apache2 to get the php 5
> features about xml and in the process I forgot all about my not
> have xcode installed.. So i did everything wrong and in a reversed
> process.
>
> Well so far I seems like what ever I have installed before is
> messing up linking and paths to fiiles scattered all over my system
> and I've gotten down to installed macports and  selfupdate tells me
> this..
>
> libtool: unrecognized option `-dynamic'
> Try `libtool --help' for more information.
> make[2]: *** [MacPorts.dylib] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> what to make of it?
>
> I'm on osx 10.4.10 with everything freshly updated.

I Googled that error message, and according to the last Q&A at

http://finkproject.org/faq/comp-general.php

it means you have managed to install GNU libtool and it is being used
instead of Apple's libtool and they do not do the same thing. So you
should figure out where this GNU libtool is ("which libtool" might
tell you) and remove it if possible.