selfupdate headache..

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 11 15:57:44 PDT 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 17:29, Casper Holm wrote:

> On 11/09/2007, at 23.52, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
>> On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:47 PM, Casper Holm wrote:
>>
>>> Well so far I seems like what ever I have installed before is
>>> messing up linking and paths to fiiles scattered all over my
>>> system and I've gotten down to installed macports and  selfupdate
>>> tells me this..
>>>
>>> libtool: unrecognized option `-dynamic'
>>> Try `libtool --help' for more information.
>>> make[2]: *** [MacPorts.dylib] Error 1
>>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
>>> make: *** [all] Error 1
>>>
>>> what to make of it?
>>
>> do `which libtool` to see which libtool is getting run.
>>
>> If you're lucky, you just have a copy of gnu libtool (glibtool)
>> installed as 'libtool' somewhere in your path before apple's
>> libtool (so you can move gnu libtool aside or remove it). If
>> you're unlucky, you've overwritten apple's libtool with gnu
>> libtool (so you'll need to get apple's libtool back).
>
> tryibg to "make" libtool allover gives me this error..
>
> Making all in libltdl
> make  all-am
> /bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -no-undefined -
> version-info 4:5:1  -o libltdl.la -rpath /usr/local/lib ltdl.lo -ldl
> gcc -dynamiclib  -o .libs/libltdl.3.1.5.dylib  .libs/ltdl.o  -ldl  -
> install_name  /usr/local/lib/libltdl.3.dylib -compatibility_version
> 5 -current_version 5.5
> libtool: unrecognized option `-dynamic'
> Try `libtool --help' for more information.
> make[2]: *** [libltdl.la] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Sorry, I should have read the rest of the thread before replying.

It seems to be at least finding libltdl (the LibTool Dynamic Loader)
in /usr/local/lib. Apple does not provide anything in /usr/local so
you must've put that there somehow. MacPorts base and some of the
ports will get easily confused by things in /usr/local. We do not yet
know how to prevent MacPorts from finding (and getting confused by)
things there, so I recommend you put nothing there at all. To confirm
that this is the issue, rename /usr/local to /usr/local-off and try
again. Once you get MacPorts up and running, consider installing all
software you need using MacPorts instead of manually installing
anything in /usr/local.