Cannot execute "sudo port selfupdate"

M.W. Rails mwrails at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:07:20 PDT 2007

When I try to perform the selfupdate I get the following error message:

MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.520
Configuring, Building and Installing new MacPorts base
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error installing new MacPorts
base: shell command "cd
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base &&
./configure --prefix=/opt/local --with-install-user=root
--with-install-group=admin --with-tclpackage=/Library/Tcl && make && make
install" returned error 77
Command output: checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin8.10.1
checking host system type... i686-apple-darwin8.10.1
checking target system type... i686-apple-darwin8.10.1
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
See `config.log' for more details.

I cannot find any config.log anywhere on the system so I do not think it is
being created.

I have downloaded and installed the Apple Developer Tools
gcc -v shows gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)

Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thank you!
mwrails