Cannot execute "sudo port selfupdate"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 12 13:56:15 PDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 13:07, M.W. Rails wrote:

> When I try to perform the selfupdate I get the following error
> message:
>
> MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
> Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.520
> Configuring, Building and Installing new MacPorts base
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error installing new
> MacPorts base: shell command "cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/base && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local
> --with-install-user=root --with-install-group=admin --with-
> tclpackage=/Library/Tcl && make && make install" returned error 77
> Command output: checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin8.10.1
> checking host system type... i686-apple-darwin8.10.1
> checking target system type... i686-apple-darwin8.10.1
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name...
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> I cannot find any config.log anywhere on the system so I do not
> think it is being created.
>
> I have downloaded and installed the Apple Developer Tools
> gcc -v shows gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

The config.log should be in the directory /opt/local/var/macports/
sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base

I'm not sure yet what's going wrong here. The message "C compiler
cannot create executables" usually means you haven't installed Xcode,
but you say you have. You did get the latest version, 2.4.1?