Bastille

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 13 02:52:36 PDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 22:58, paul beard wrote:

> On 9/12/07, Bill Hernandez wrote:
>
>> Do you know if there is a port for Bastille ?
>>
>> Bastille Linux is a Hardening and Reporting/Auditing Program which
>> enhances the security of a
>> Linux box, by configuring daemons, system settings and firewalling.
>> It currently functions on
>> most major Linux distributions as well as Mac OSX and HP-UX
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bastille-linux/
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=403
>
> Doesn't appear to be one.
> [/mnt]# port list bast*
> bastet                         @ 0.41           games/bastet

"port search bastille" would be better, but that too shows no
Bastille port.

> What does bastille do that OS X doesn't, out of the box? Does the
> OS X firewall compare to what's available for Linux?
>
> There are probably a lot more linux-savvy people on this list: I
> haven't looked at it in years (The BSDs are where I look for UNIX-y
> goodness that I can't get from OS X).

It looks like Bastille Linux has just changed names to Bastille Unix,
since a) they temporarily lost their domain name to a squatter, and
b) Bastille Linux has worked on HP-UX and Mac OS X for years.

http://www.bastille-unix.org/press-release-newname.html

So, I imagine it should be possible to create a portfile for Bastille
Unix. Someone who cares about and knows the software should feel free
to do so. Until such a person is found, a ticket could be filed for
this request.