fetching from closer mirrors?

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 19:49:14 PDT 2007

as I watch my port upgrade process scroll by (as much as progress on
an 800 MHz G4 can be called scrolling), I wonder if there is some way
to fetch from geographically nearer mirrors. Lyon, FR, is a long way
from here, and even if they have oodles of bandwidth, avoiding
trans-oceanic hops is probably a good idea.

I know I can hack the order of mirrors but that's not persistent.
Would there any way to add a list per continent or region with that
region specified at install time?

--->  Attempting to fetch atk-1.20.0.tar.bz2 from
http://mandril.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/linux/gnome.org/sources/atk/1.20
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for atk
--->  Extracting atk
--->  Configuring atk
--->  Building atk with target all
--->  Staging atk into destroot
--->  Deactivating atk 1.18.0_0
--->  Installing atk 1.20.0_0
--->  Activating atk 1.20.0_0
--->  Cleaning atk
--->  Fetching libglade2
--->  Attempting to fetch libglade-2.6.2.tar.bz2 from
http://mandril.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/linux/gnome.org/sources/libglade/2.6/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for libglade2
--->  Extracting libglade2
--->  Configuring libglade2
--->  Building libglade2 with target all
--->  Staging libglade2 into destroot
--->  Deactivating libglade2 2.6.1_1
--->  Installing libglade2 2.6.2_0
--->  Activating libglade2 2.6.2_0
--->  Cleaning libglade2
--->  Fetching gail
--->  Attempting to fetch gail-1.20.0.tar.bz2 from
http://mandril.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/linux/gnome.org/sources/gail/1.20/

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>