fetching from closer mirrors?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 21 12:54:43 PDT 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 21:49, paul beard wrote:

> as I watch my port upgrade process scroll by (as much as progress on
> an 800 MHz G4 can be called scrolling), I wonder if there is some way
> to fetch from geographically nearer mirrors. Lyon, FR, is a long way
> from here, and even if they have oodles of bandwidth, avoiding
> trans-oceanic hops is probably a good idea.
>
> I know I can hack the order of mirrors but that's not persistent.
> Would there any way to add a list per continent or region with that
> region specified at install time?

As I recall you've brought this up several times, but I think the
idea needs to be fleshed out more and more-precisely defined: exactly
how would this feature work, how would it behave, how would it be
implemented, would there be any downsides, etc. Developer time is
limited, and we have very few people who are comfortable coding in
base, so a much more precise specification of the feature is needed.