Activate never completes

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 22 08:08:50 PDT 2007

On Sep 21, 2007, at 5:22 PM, William Davis wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>

>> On Sep 18, 2007, at 16:04, Michael D. Johas Teener wrote:
>>
>>> The last few installs that I have attempted have hung during the
>>> activate
>>> phase ... I have terminated the processes and tried an explicit
>>> activate
>>> command, but that hangs, too. Now I have a number of intalled-but-
>>> inactive
>>> ports hanging around. For instance:
>>>
>>> mikes-brcm-mbp:~ mikejt$ port installed
>>> The following ports are currently installed:
>>>   aquaterm @1.0.1_0+darwin_8
>>>   expat @2.0.0_1
>>>   expat @2.0.1_0 (active)
>>>   fontconfig @2.4.2_0+macosx
>>>   freetype @2.3.5_0
>>>   gawk @3.1.5_2 (active)
>>>   gettext @0.14.6_0
>>>   gettext @0.16.1_0 (active)
>>>   libiconv @1.10_1+darwin_8
>>>   libiconv @1.11_4+darwin_8 (active)
>>>   libpcap @0.9.5_1 (active)
>>>   pkgconfig @0.22_0+universal (active)
>>>   XFree86 @4.7.0_0+macosx (active)
>>>   zlib @1.2.3_1 (active)
>>> mikes-brcm-mbp:~ mikejt$ sudo port activate freetype
>>> --->  Activating freetype
>>>
>>> Then nothing ... just dead air .. same thing if I try to activate
>>> aquaterm
>>
>> Please try with debug and verbose output.
>>
>> sudo port -dv activate freetype
>>
>> Either it will show that something is progressing, though slowly,
>> in which case let it go, or it will hang at one spot, and if so,
>> show us the last few lines.
>
> had similar problems. I did a little more testing and found this:
> if for some reason a port is installed but cant be activated (call
> it foo), then after that every time you try to update all
> outdated , the message "Activating foo"  will appear up to five
> times along with any other update messages.  On some occasions, an
> infinite loop will occur with tclsh8.4  opening sh which opens
> tclsh8.4 which open another sh which opens another ...... well you
> see what I mean.

er.........never-mind me.  I had removed MacPorts previously but
failed to remove the launch daemon items (see the FAQ re Uninstalling)
believe that was the cause. Problem has not recurred since I did a
righteous Uninstall and reinstalled.