Xmlto checksum (md5) mismatch

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 25 11:52:24 PDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Marcos Rivera wrote:

> Possible.  Did not know that command.  I had been gone for some time.
> What I did to get around it was I did:
>
> Export EDITOR=vi
> Sudo port edit xmlto
>
> I then changed all the checksums to the destination checksum and it
> seem to work, but not sure if that is safe to do?
>
> If I encounter this issue again I will try your way.
>
> Thanks again.
>

> On 9/22/07 9:04 AM, "N_Ox" <n.oxyde at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Le 21 sept. 07 à 18:58, Marcos Rivera a écrit :
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am new to mcports and was attempting to install Gimp.
>> > I have xcodetools installed and it got part way through until it
>> > his xmlto
>> > Below is error I received when trying to install just xmlto
>> >
>> > $ sudo port install xmlto
>> > Password:
>> > --->  Verifying checksum(s) for xmlto
>> > Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for xmlto-0.0.18.tar.bz2
>> > Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
>> > checksums
>> > Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>> > david:~/Desktop/xmlto-0.0.18 mrivera$ sudo port sync
>> > david:~/Desktop/xmlto-0.0.18 mrivera$ sudo port install xmlto
>> > --->  Verifying checksum(s) for xmlto
>> > Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for xmlto-0.0.18.tar.bz2
>> > Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
>> > checksums
>> > Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>> >

>> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>> > Thank you
>> > Marcos
>> >

>> It works here, the fetch must have gone wrong and you ended up with a
>> corrupted tarball.
>> Try:
>>         sudo port clean --all xmlto
>>         sudo port install xmlto
>>
>> Hope this will help,
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Anthony Ramine, the infamous MacPorts Trac slave.
>> nox at macports.org

er Marcos, you ask if what you did was safe.  The answer is: No!  THe
purpose of the checksum is : by comparing the checksum computed by
the sender with the one computed by the receiver of the file, learn
if the file was received intact.  In your case, it told you the file
was corrupted. Your response was to suppress the warning. :) So no,
it aint safe ;)  Id advise you to take Tonys advice post haste. good
luck :)