Building MacPorts using MacPorts

Michael Franz mvfranz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 18:34:59 PDT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to use macport to build and install macports.  I used sudo port
-v build macports and get build errors.  I find this strange since if I just
download the source and compile with the instructions on the website it
works without a problem.

cc -dynamiclib -L/usr/local/lib  registry.o util.o entry.o entryobj.o -o
registry.dylib -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4
-ltclstub8.4 -arch ppc -arch i386 -L/usr/local/lib
../cregistry/cregistry.a -lsqlite3
ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/lib) does not exist
ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/lib) does not exist
ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/lib) does not exist
ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/lib) does not exist
ld: archive: ../cregistry/cregistry.a has no table of contents, add one with
ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
ld: archive: ../cregistry/cregistry.a has no table of contents, add one with
ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: internal link edit
command failed
/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: internal link edit
command failed
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccC9sGem.out
make[2]: *** [registry.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

this is on tiger intel and it also fails on leopard.

Is there a way to build macports with macports?

Michael