layout file for .tex files

Charlse Darwin macports.users at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 08:44:19 PDT 2008

Begin forwarded message:
From: "Bob Lounsbury" <boblounsbury at gmail.com>
Date: April 3, 2008 9:40:14 AM EDT (CA)
To: "Charlse Darwin" <macports.users at gmail.com>
Cc: "LyX Users List" <lyx-users at lists.lyx.org>, rsorasen at broadpark.no
Subject: Re: layout file for .tex files

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:13 AM, Charlse Darwin
<macports.users at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  It seems that I have textlive already installed.
>
>  $ port installed | grep texlive
>   texlive_base @2007_1 (active)
>   texlive_texmf-minimal @2007_0 (active)
>  $

Before we try anything else. Open a shell as root and run 'texhash'
this should refresh the LaTeX package database. Then open LyX and run
Tools->Reconfigure and restart LyX, maybe run Reconfigure twice and
restart LyX. Do you still receive the error message?

/Bob
Begin forwarded message:
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Charlse Darwin
<macports.users at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Apr 3, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:13 AM, Charlse Darwin
> <macports.users at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>  Hi,
>>
>>  It seems that I have textlive already installed.
>>
>>  $ port installed | grep texlive
>>  texlive_base @2007_1 (active)
>>  texlive_texmf-minimal @2007_0 (active)
>>  $
>>

>  Before we try anything else. Open a shell as root and run 'texhash'
>  this should refresh the LaTeX package database.
>
>  $ sudo texhash
>  texhash: Updating /opt/local/share/texmf/ls-R...
>  texhash: Updating /opt/local/share/texmf-dist/ls-R...
>  texhash: Updating /opt/local/share/texmf-var/ls-R...
>  texhash: Done.
>  $
>

>  Then open LyX and run
>  Tools->Reconfigure and restart LyX, maybe run Reconfigure twice and
>  restart LyX. Do you still receive the error message?
>
>  /Bob
>
>  I have Tools->TeX Information here and then `LaTex classes' `Latex
> styles'
> `BibTex styles'. I Rescan them all (twice).
>  And also LyX->Reconfigure which I did and then it asked me to
> restart the
> LyX.
>
>  Same error message pops-up!
>
>  Here is the file that I am trying to open:

In LyX Document->Settings->Document Class does 'article' show as
'Unavailable: article'? If so then either you don't have 'article.cls'
installed on your computer through the texlive packages or LyX is not
recognizing the path to texmf* folders.

If you have article.cls installed in one of the
/opt/local/share/texmf* directories then the path needs to be added to
Tools->Preferences->Paths->PATH prefix so that LyX will recognize the
files installed there. You should just need to add /opt/local/share to
the list of paths separated by a semi-colon and then reconfigure LyX.

/Bob
Begin forwarded message: