MacPorts missing Directories

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 6 16:25:18 PDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 23:37, Sam Cook wrote:

> The Facts: I am using an intel MacBook with OS X 10.5.2. I am new
> to MacPorts. I recently downloaded MacPorts-1.6.0-10.5-Leopard.dmg.
> I still have not (third try) been able get MacPorts to install
> correctly. In particular, the directories
>
> /Applictions/MacPorts
> /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.*
> and
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>
> do not exist.
>
> The History: The first time I tried to install MacPorts,
> my .profile was not modified. I did it, and I also tried to modify /
> etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which is when I noticed it isn't there.
> However, X11 did create /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc when I
> installed it.
>
> Then I reran the installer. Progress, as the port command was now
> recognized. I tried to install my first port, gv 3.6.3. It did not
> work; it installed, but when I tried to execute the gv command, it
> would not run.
>
> I tried the whole process over. Now, MacPorts seems to be working,
> and so is gv! But the three directories listed above are still
> absent. Any advice?

Apologies; there is a bug in the 1.6.0 installer which causes
the .profile not to get created/modified. You have to set it up
yourself, for this particular version of MacPorts. Earlier versions
set it up correctly, and the fix has already been committed so that
future versions will again work correctly.

/Applications/MacPorts will be created when any port tries to install
there. Most ports install into /opt/local, not /Applications/
MacPorts. The exception are most of the ports in the "aqua" category,
and some others.

org.macports.*.plist files get installed into /Library/LaunchDaemons
by ports which need to run daemon processes on your computer. Most
ports don't need to do that. Some ports that do are "apache2",
"lighttpd", "mysql5" (if you select the +server variant).

I don't know what /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is all about. That file is
not part of the MacPorts setup instructions.

If the "port" or "gv" commands would not run, then probably your PATH
was not set up correctly. If they work now, then your PATH is
probably set up correctly now.