upgrade outdated: strange loop

Michael Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 11:48:23 PDT 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Peter Koellner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I started an "upgrade outdated", and am experiencing a very strange
> behaviour. The process seems to loop around, reinstalling perl5.8.8
> and other packages again and again and again.
> It started with a few compilation and activation problems, so I did a
> few activate -f underway.
> I have attached the console output until now. Sometimes it has a
> +darwin9 variant, other times not. I don't know if this is the cause
> or an effect of another underlying problem. Any tips how to kick that
> back into the rails?

This also happens to me if I "upgrade installed". I think it's the
"force" option - seems to tell macports to rebuild every dependency
during each iteration which, since everything seems to depend on
everything else (generally speaking), can lead to a never ending cycle
of "rebuilding this because you told me to rebuild the dependencies
via the use of the force option". At least that's the way it appears
to me...

--Mike H