/opt/local/www vs. /opt/local/apache2/htdocs

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 16 23:41:41 PDT 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 12:43 AM, Stephan Jaeger wrote:
> I just installed apache2 and phpmyadmin, and was wondering why I
> couldn't get phpmyadmin up and running.
>
> Then I realised that phpmyadmin was installed into /opt/local/www,
> whereas the DocumentRoot in apache2 was defined as /opt/local/
> apache2/htdocs.
>
> No problem to adjust the DocumentRoot to /opt/local/www, but
> wouldn't it be better to define the DocumentRoot per default to /
> opt/local/www, especially if this directory is defined in the
> documentation as default directory?
>
> Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Hallo Stephan. ${prefix}/www sounds like a good place to put the
MacPorts web space by default. ${prefix}/apache2/htdocs is not good
because one might not be using apache2 -- I for one prefer to use
lighttpd. So yes, I'd agree that the default DocumentRoot in the
sample apache2 httpd.conf should be changed to ${prefix}/www. Would
you submit a ticket please if there isn't one already, and a patch if
possible?

The lighttpd default/sample conf file needs changes too, and a lot
more than just that. I'm installing lighttpd on a fresh system right
now and seeing a lot of things in the default/sample conf that are
not suitable. I can submit a ticket and patch for this.