[MacPorts] #15108: installing Mac Ports broke intel fortran precompiler, Carbon emacs, and gnuplot

Oliver Zahn zahn at berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 22 21:12:54 PDT 2008

Hi, and thanks for the reply. Please see my responses below.
On Apr 22, 2008, at 8:09 PM, MacPorts wrote:

> #15108: installing Mac Ports broke intel fortran precompiler, Carbon
> emacs, and
> gnuplot
> --------------------------------
> +-------------------------------------------
> Reporter:  zahn at berkeley.edu  |       Owner:  macports-tickets at lists.macosforge.org
>     Type:  defect             |      Status:  new
> Component:  ports              |     Version:  1.6.0
> Resolution:                     |    Keywords:
> --------------------------------
> +-------------------------------------------
> Comment (by shreevatsa.public at gmail.com):
>
> What error message does Emacs fail with? Which Emacs is this? (You
> can use
> "type emacs" or "which emacs" in the shell to see which one it is
> trying
> to start.)

I believe it was a version of emacs that came with mac ports. I moved
the entire directory into which mac ports seems to have been
installed, /opt/local to another location. Then I created an alias
from "emacs" to the Carbon Emacs that I still had in my Application
folder. Now this part works again. However Mac Ports has also tinkered
with

1) my fortran preprocessor fpp (for example, I'm getting error
messages like this

"ifort: error: Fatal error in /opt/intel/fc/9.1.027/bin/fpp,
terminated by segmentation violation"

when attempting to compile a program with .F suffix instead of .f
suffix.

and

2) with my installation of gnuplot. I used to be able to automatically
expand filenames by typing tab, just as in the normal shell.
I don't know how to fix these problems, and couldn't find any
information on the web.

> It is likely that the problem is simply one of your PATH being
> messed up.
> You can edit your .profile or whatever file MacPorts wrote, and
> remove the
> "/opt/local/bin" part from it.

No .profile was created, and I don't see any new paths in other
configuration files.

> Did you try to install MacPorts into /usr/local, by any chance?
> That's not
> a good thing to do...

No, I just followed the default and installed it into /opt/local

Oliver