.profile not installed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 24 23:01:20 PDT 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 12:13 AM, paul beard wrote:

>> So it works for me right now, but i would like to find out why it
>> didn't install by default and is there something else that would have
>> been part of the .profile file that i should add to my .bash_profile
>> file?
>

> Anyone know how many times the MacPorts installer/dmg has been
> downloaded since 1.6 was released? That's a lot of people who have
> been bitten by this bug. Is there any plan to release a 1.6.1 or
> 1.7 release to fix it?

Don't know how many downloads there have been, but there have
certainly been enough emails to the list about the problem.

A problem is that the guide says one thing but the software does
another. Ideally we should release a new version of the software that
does what the guide says. Until then, perhaps the guide could make a
note of the bug and explain to users that they need to set it up
themselves.

jmpp has done the releases in the past but he hasn't been very active
in the project of late. Maybe I'll take a look at the dmg release
process and see if I can manage it.

I'm concerned that there are changes on the 1.6 branch that have not
been released, and also a different strategy in trunk apparently for
this same issue. I don't know if trunk current represents out best
effort at handling this, or whether the 1.6 branch does. I may have
to test both on a clean system.