.profile not installed

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 22:13:26 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:50 AM, <
macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org> wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:51:59 -0400
> From: Marco Battistella <macports.mb at makeko.com>
> Subject: .profile not installed
> To: MacPorts Users <macports-users at lists.macosforge.org>
>
> hi,
> i have just installed macport in a fresh OS X 10.3.9 server
> installation using the 1.6 package installer.
> After the installation i have noticed that no .profile has been
> installed.
> on the manual it reads:
> MacPorts requires changes to the shell environment. If MacPorts was
> installed using the Mac OS X package installer, a "postflight" script
> was run after installation that places a .profile file in the home
> directory, which contains the environmental variables required for
> MacPorts. If a current .profile file exists at installation time it
> is renamed to "mpsaved_$timestamp".
>
> So that i would be able to use the port command witout specifying the
> full path i run:
> # echo "export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH" >>
> ~/.bash_profile
>
> So it works for me right now, but i would like to find out why it
> didn't install by default and is there something else that would have
> been part of the .profile file that i should add to my .bash_profile
> file?

Anyone know how many times the MacPorts installer/dmg has been downloaded
since 1.6 was released? That's a lot of people who have been bitten by this
bug. Is there any plan to release a 1.6.1 or 1.7 release to fix it?

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at gmail.com>