gnutar missing

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 24 23:11:26 PDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Dimitri Hendriks wrote:

> Thanks Ryan Schmidt for your reply to my last email
> (for some reason I have never seen it until now in
> the online mail archive).
>
> I still have problems using macports.
>
> Since my last post (<http://www.mail-archive.com/macports-
> users at lists.macosforge.org/msg09398.html>),
> I have installed XCode 2.5,
> and at least the error messages have changed.
> Now the error is easy to understand, I don't
> have gnutar:

> Command output: sh: line 1: /usr/bin/gnutar: No such file or directory

That file should exist, so something is wrong with your Mac OS X
installation. On my PowerPC system I have:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/gnutar
-rwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  186088 Feb 20 15:39 /usr/bin/gnutar
$

If you're on Intel it'll be about twice as large since it'll be
universal. To get the file back, you could maybe copy it from your
Mac OS X DVD. But, if your DVD is earlier than 10.4.9, you should
then re-run the 10.4.11 Combo Update since 10.4.9 provided a new
version of gnutar to address a security issue.

> I work under system 10.4.11. I have X11 version 1.1.3,
> but don't know whether I have X11SDK installed; how to
> figure that out? ( spotlight found:
>  /Volumes/Xcode\ Tools/Packages/Packages/X11SDK.pkg )

Look in /Library/Receipts to see if you've already installed
X11SDK.pkg. If not, install the package you found above for good
measure. (It's good to have X11SDK installed, but it won't fix your
missing gnutar.)