Problem with MacPorts on OS X Leopard

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Sun Aug 3 15:48:07 PDT 2008

On Aug 3, 2008, at 4:31 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> Question(s):
>
> (1) How do I move the /opt/local aside (do you mean move into a
> separate tmp dir)?

What I did was simply moved /opt/local to /opt/local.10.4 (/tmp is
cleaned on reboot, hence not safe) so it is still there and obvious
what's going on.

> (2) In addition, how would you suggest I install the new version of
> MacPorts (from source or dmg)?

Depends on your needs and whatnot, most still install from the DMG but
many things have been fixed since the last release, if you're talking
about running from trunk instead of 1.6.0.  If you just mean building
1.6.0 vs. 1.6.0 DMG, shouldn't be any difference.

> (3) How do I move / merge the config stuff back (from tmp, if my
> assumption for line item # 1 is correct)?

Most config stuff should be in /opt/local/etc (or /opt/local.10.4
after move) so you'll want to review what's there for items needed for
the new install.  You can also look in /opt/local/var/macports/
receipts to see what ports you have installed for reference when doing
the new install.  Or, before moving things aside, use 'port installed'
and keep the output someplace.

If you have a database (mysql*, postgresql*, etc) you may have to
export from it prior to the upgrade, especially if you will be
installing a newer version of the DB when doing the MacPorts reinstall.

Bryan