Problem with MacPorts on OS X Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 4 17:21:42 PDT 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 18:02, Mark Hattam wrote:

> [...]
>> was awhile ago (December 2007), so understandably many fixes have
>> been made in trunk in that time. If you would like to try the
>> latest development version of MacPorts, you can do so using these
>> instructions:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/RunningTrunk
>
> I understand it as far as the section about .profile
>
> When I run up Terminal and do a ls -la I see (apart from the
> obvious directories)
>
> drwxr-xr-x   26 markhatt  markhatt    884 Aug  4 23:49 .
> drwxrwxr-t    7 root      admin       238 Nov 11  2005 ..
> -rw-r--r--    1 markhatt  markhatt      3 Nov 11
> 2005 .CFUserTextEncoding
> -rw-r--r--    1 markhatt  markhatt  15364 Jul 31 00:16 .DS_Store
> drwx------    2 markhatt  markhatt     68 Aug  4 23:39 .Trash
> -rw-------    1 markhatt  markhatt      0 May 31 09:17 .Xauthority
> -rw-------    1 markhatt  markhatt  15879 Aug  4 23:52 .bash_history
> -rw-r--r--    1 markhatt  markhatt    176 Aug  4 23:49 .bash_profile
> drwxr-xr-x    4 markhatt  markhatt    136 Nov 14  2005 .jIRC
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root      markhatt     68 May  8  2007 .macports
> -rw-------    1 markhatt  markhatt    264 Aug  1 10:53 .mysql_history
> drwx------    6 markhatt  markhatt    204 Jul 26 22:20 .psi
> drwxr-xr-x    8 markhatt  markhatt    272 Nov 20  2005 .smartcvs
> -rw-------    1 markhatt  markhatt    223 May 14 12:10 .sqlite_history
> drwx------    3 markhatt  markhatt    102 Nov 11  2005 .ssh
> drwxr-xr-x    6 markhatt  markhatt    204 Aug 27  2006 .subversion
> -rw-------    1 markhatt  markhatt   1114 Aug  4 23:49 .viminfo
>
> I've just recently done a move aside of my old /opt/local and re-
> installed MacPorts from the 1.6 dmg package.
>
> So am I supposed to have a .profile file here? Or is it someplace
> else? Even the extra ReadMe document http://guide.macports.org/
> #installing.shell says that the PostFlight installs a .profile, but
> I don't see it.
>
> My .bash_profile has
>
> export CLICOLOR_FORCE=yes
> alias mysql=/opt/local/bin/mysql5
> alias mysqladmin=/opt/local/bin/mysqladmin5
> export PHP_PEAR_PHP_BIN=/opt/local/bin/php
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> export LANG
>
> and doing a env
>
> TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
> TERM=xterm-color
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=133-1
> USER=markhattam
> PHP_PEAR_PHP_BIN=/opt/local/bin/php
> __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin
> PWD=/Users/markhattam
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHLVL=1
> HOME=/Users/markhattam
> LOGNAME=markhattam
> CLICOLOR_FORCE=yes
> SECURITYSESSIONID=b05a80
> _=/usr/bin/env
>

> I'm using 10.4.11 on a 667 MHz G4Ti laptop at the moment. (won't

If you have .bash_profile, then modify .bash_profile (it takes
precedence over .profile). For example, put /opt/local into your PATH
by adding a line like:

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

Although I see this is in your env:

> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin

So that means you already have a line somewhere else which is adding /
opt/local/bin, though into the middle of your PATH. I prefer to add
it at the beginning of PATH so that MacPorts-installed software takes
precedence over Apple-provided software, as opposed to the reverse,
but that's your choice.

Also, I see you have /usr/local/bin in your PATH. Note that having
software installed in /usr/local can be problematic for MacPorts and
is therefore not recommended.

There is a bug in the MacPorts 1.6.0 disk image installer which
prevents it from creating the .profile for you. This is discussed in
the FAQ:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#a4..profilenotsetup

But like I say .bash_profile takes precedence over .profile, so even
running the postflight manually wan't set up your .bash_profile for you.

Off-topic, but if you want to run Leopard on your PowerBook, Leopard
Assist may help. I'm successfully running Leopard on a 466-MHz Power
Mac G4 using it.

http://leopardassist.sourceforge.net/