couldn't change working directory to...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 7 03:51:50 PDT 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 05:20, Michael Thon wrote:

> I am writing a new portfile for a package but I keep getting errors
> during the installation step:
>
> --->  Staging hmmer into destroot
> --->  Installing hmmer 2.3.2_0
> couldn't change working directory to "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _Users_mike_macports_dports_science_hmmer/work/destroot": no such file
> or directory

[snip]

This means the port did not install any files into the destroot.
Check /opt/local -- it probably installed the files directly there,
bypassing the destroot. Probably the make install target does not
respect the DESTDIR variable. You may have to retrofit this into the
Makefile, or see if they support a destroot via a different variable
(e.g. for some, you will want to set "destroot.destdir PREFIX=$
{destroot}${prefix}" instead of the default "destroot.destdir DESTDIR=
${destroot}").