Best way to install PHP ImageMagick wrapper?

Michael J. I. Jackson mjijackson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 22:16:25 PDT 2008

For anyone who comes after me, the process was not really that
difficult. Here's what I did (after installing the php5 and
imagemagick ports normally):

- installed PEAR (used go-pear). This could easily be done via the
+pear php5 variant, but I like to keep my PEAR packages separate from
the rest of my ports so I don't have to wipe them if I choose to wipe
everything else. The only reason you need to perform this step is that
you need pecl.
- $ pecl config-set php_ini /opt/local/etc/php.ini
- $ sudo pecl install imagick

Then, during the imagick install, you'll be asked where ImageMagick is
installed on your machine. Just use /opt/local and you should be good
to go.