moving port from a 32-bit box to 64-bit one

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 20 13:02:18 PDT 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 05:02, Randall Wood wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
>
>> I've migrated from a 32-bit MacBook Core Duo to MBP Core 2 Duo, and
>> the Migration Assistant happily brought over my macports which look
>> like they work.  Except when I start one zsh inside another I get
>> some
>> deallocate failures...  Which makes me think, will selfupdate
>> notice I
>> am on 64 bits now and reinstall stuff, or do I have to reinstall it
>> all myself -- and then, is there an automatic way to redo all the
>> ports which are 64 bit-aware and capable?
>
> You will have to reinstall your ports. Here's I deal with a large
> reinstallation:
>
> port installed > ~/installed.txt
> sudo php -f ~/install-list-ports ~/installed.txt
>
> install-listed-ports is a php script that is attached and should work
> in 10.4 or 10.5 out of the box. Just copy it to your home directory
> for this to work.

Actually, if both machines were running the same major version of Mac
OS X, I wouldn't have thought anything would need to be reinstalled,
since MacPorts will build 32-bit software by default, even on a 64-
bit machine. And even so, 32-bit software should work fine on 64-bit
machines.

port selfupdate never updates ports; it only updates MacPorts base if
a newer version is available, and it updates your port definitions.

port outdated only shows a port as outdated if a newer version of it
is available. It might be nice if it were possible for port outdated
to know for example when your ports were built with an older version
of Mac OS X or Xcode or on a different processor architecture (e.g.
PowerPC vs. Intel) and to flag these as needing a rebuild too, but
that capability does not exist in MacPorts at this time.