building apple-gcc42 fails: C compiler cannot create executables.

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Dec 7 09:49:28 PST 2008

Timothy Goins wrote:
> I encountered this problem compiling 4.3.  In //usr/bin/ I had the
> /gcc/ executable but no gcc-4.0 file, so I created a link (/sudo ln -s
> /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.0/).  The /-s/ is unnecessary, I believe,
> but I did it because my symbolic links show up in a different color.
>
> What I don't know why the configuration looks for /gcc-4.0(.1)/ and not
> just //usr/bin/gcc/.  Seems to me the link ought be the current
> executable linked to a //usr/bin/gcc/ pointer.  That way the current
> /gcc/, like //opt/local/bin/gcc-4.3 /on my system, could be located
> anywhere.
>
> Am I missing something here?

If there is no /usr/bin/gcc-4.0, then your XCode installation is
incomplete. MacPorts will always use that specific compiler on Tiger and
Leopard (and gcc-3.3 on Panther) unless the Portfile specifies a
different one. The reason for this is that users will encounter a much
smaller variety of bugs if they are all building with the same compiler
as the port's maintainer.

- Josh