building apple-gcc42 fails: C compiler cannot create executables.

J.A. Neitzel mp+u at v6shell.org
Sun Dec 7 09:58:41 PST 2008

Timothy Goins <ohce86 at kitcarson.net> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2008, at 6:22 AM, Admin wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am not sure where to begin to troubleshoot this issue.  Anybody
> > know what to do here?  Building apple-gcc42 fails.

[snip]

> I encountered this problem compiling 4.3.  In /usr/bin I had the gcc
> executable but no gcc-4.0 file, so I created a link (sudo ln -s /usr/
> bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.0).  The -s is unnecessary, I believe, but I
> did it because my symbolic links show up in a different color.
>
> What I don't know why the configuration looks for gcc-4.0(.1) and not
> just /usr/bin/gcc.  Seems to me the link ought be the current
> executable linked to a /usr/bin/gcc pointer.  That way the current
> gcc, like /opt/local/bin/gcc-4.3 on my system, could be located
> anywhere.
>
> Am I missing something here?

I am not MacPorts fluent on all the hows and whys and so forth, but
my guess is that MacPorts has some basis for what compiler is used
by default on a given system.

EG: In a Portfile, "configure.cc ${prefix}/name/that/compiler" =)

This reflects common usage I have seen over time.  Where you can
hopefully always do one of the following:

	`env CC=/name/that/compiler ./configure ...',
	`env CC=/name/that/compiler make ...',
	or
	`make CC=/name/that/compiler ...'

Maybe this helps a little; maybe not.