Install or use problem: no .profile created

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Dec 10 07:55:12 PST 2008

Joachim Oosnaabryg wrote:
> Am 10.12.2008 um 15:14 schrieb Joachim Oosnaabryg:
>> Testwise I called in the Terminal
>> sudo port -d selfupdate
>> with the answer: "sudo: port: command not found"
>>
>> Therefore I ask you:
>>
>> How can I proof if MacPorts is installed rightly?
>
> Hey, additionally I add the output of env:
>
> localhost:/ joachim$ env
> TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
> TERM=xterm-color
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=133-1
> OLDPWD=/Developer/Applications
> USER=joachim
> __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:3
> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin
> PWD=/
> SHLVL=1
> HOME=/Users/joachim
> SECURITYSESSIONID=fa0ee0
> _=/usr/bin/env
>
> Thereover, I'm wondering that most of the locations, that are mentioned
> for the case of uninstalling MacPorts,
> http://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.uninstalling
> an my HD do not exist ore are empty, especially
>
> - no /etc/paths.d/macports
> - no /etc/paths.d/
> - no /Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup
> - no /Library/Tcl/macports1.0

I don't see the connection between that and your environment, but it's
true that no single version of MacPorts/DarwinPorts will install in all
of the places given in the uninstall instructions.
/Library/Tcl/macports1.0 should definitely be present and non-empty if
you installed the current version from the .dmg.

- Josh