Install or use problem: no .profile created

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 10 18:30:14 PST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 16:22, Joachim Oosnaabryg wrote:

> Am 10.12.2008 um 19:32 schrieb Joshua Root:
>> That's a bug in the 1.6 installer:
>> <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#a.profilenotsetup>
>
> Great, Joshua, that's it. Without your kindly help I hadn't found
> that page!
>
> Hardly understandable, that the macports-creator let the new
> (installing) user unknowing of the bug and the fixing script (I
> lost a day with trial and error without success).

We apologize for this problem. It has gone unfixed for far too long.
The fix will be in MacPorts 1.7.0. We have already made available
1.7.0 release candidate 1, so hopefully we can release the final
version of 1.7.0 very soon.

> It should be made clear at the install-page: http://
> www.macports.org/install.php
> but what is written there dosn't let you suspect that there is e
> fundamental bug:
>
> "This procedure will place a fully-functional and default MacPorts
> installation on your host system, ready for usage. If needed your
> shell configuration files will be adapted by the installer to
> include the necessary settings to run MacPorts and the programs it
> installs, but you may need to open a new shell for these changes to
> take effect."
>
> Or at least as a warning at
> http://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell
>
> But however, with the command:
>
> curl -O http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/branches/
> release_1_6/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight && bash postflight
>
> all went well.
>
> So the problem of installation of MacPorts seems to be resolved. I
> continued with:
>
> sudo port install rtf2latex2e
>
> which went logtime well, but finished with:
>
> --->  Configuring rtf2latex2e
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_tex_r
> tf2latex2e/work/rtf2latex2eUnix-1.0fc1/Unix" && ./configure --
> prefix=/opt/local " returned error 1
> Command output: creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install
> ...- still more "yes" and "found", but then:
>
> checking host system type... ./config.guess: line 1017: syntax
> error: unexpected end of file
> configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one

> I'm not fit to read from this wether the problem lies in the
> rtf2latex2e port, or in the MacPort configuration.
>
> If someone has a knowing/guess/hint about it, please tell me, what
> you would do after this error message, please!
>
> Goutgaun! joachim
> --
> MacTeXLive 2008 - TeXShop 2.18-svn - LyX 1.6
> MacBook Pro OSX 10.4.11 Tiger

I can confirm that error on 10.4.11 Intel. We had two tickets filed
for it too:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15720

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16627

Bryan's fix seems to work for me so I'll note that in the tickets.

I also filed a ticket requesting rtf2latex2e be updated from 1.0fc1
to 1.0fc2:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17607